Print settings - help please !

For guides on how to do something, explanations on how particular results are achieved, etc.
Rose

Print settings - help please !

Postby Rose » Mon 15 Jun 2015, 16:10

I'm hopeless when it comes to knowing how to set up an image for printing ! LOL
What do I need to do here, to output an image for a direct print site - so that it can be printed at different sizes, at the best possible resolution. I don't want 31.63 x 21.09 to be the biggest size available ??
I've read the help page and am more confused than ever... LOL

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 16.03.24.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 16.03.24.png (70.73 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
Rose
Mike Farley

Re: Print settings - help please !

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 15 Jun 2015, 18:03

I would not worry about the image size and just send a full size shot to the printing company and let them deal with it. They should be able to scale it up or down as neccessary to fit the requested print size. Without knowing which company you are using, I cannot be any more specific, but often setting the colour space to sRGB will be specified as this most closely matches what you will get in the final print. ProAm Imaging, which a number of members use and is also an advertiser in our exhibition catalogue (so it pays to support them), goes further and suggests embedding the profile of their printing equipment in the image. You can also use the profile to soft proof the image as I suggested recently - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1641.

ProAm instructions are here - http://www.proamimaging.com/prepFiles.php

If in any doubt, why not try a few test prints and see how they turn out? It should not cost too much and you would not want to trust a company with a larger order until you see how the results look.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Mon 15 Jun 2015, 18:21

Thanks Mike - I think I'm just confusing myself ! :? :roll:
Rose
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Sun 26 Jul 2015, 15:06

Hi Rose, as you are asking about the size, you would probably be entering competitions, I would suggest something like an image size of around 14.5" the longest edge. If you intend only to buy A4 11" would be ideal.

Return to “Techniques & Tutorials”