Search found 223 matches

by Peter Boughton
Thu 14 Nov 2019, 23:22
Forum: Photo Sharing
Topic: Autumn Colours
Replies: 4
Views: 48

Re: Autumn Colours

I do wonder if it is a factor and similar scenes are being repeated elsewhere. I visited Addington Hills last week and there were some lovely autumn colours on display. It was around lunchtime and there were a few dog walkers, but mostly in the open areas rather than amongst the trees, so not much ...
by Peter Boughton
Wed 30 Oct 2019, 20:58
Forum: General
Topic: How to start a Landscape Photography Business
Replies: 8
Views: 153

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

A lot of professional photographers say that around 90% of their time is taken up running their business, leaving just 10% for the actual photography itself. The other way of looking at this statistic is: with a five day working week, that's a full half day every week. How many amateurs get to spen...
by Peter Boughton
Wed 30 Oct 2019, 20:38
Forum: General
Topic: Do you need a VPN?
Replies: 3
Views: 57

Re: Do you need a VPN?

Mike Farley wrote:I have not looked at the video...

You should start by doing that.

It's an educational video by Tom Scott about VPN commercials - perhaps useful for any club members who see misleading adverts on YouTube and falsely believe VPNs to be a necessary security precaution.
by Peter Boughton
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 00:20
Forum: General
Topic: How to start a Landscape Photography Business
Replies: 8
Views: 153

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Thanks Andy.

Thomas Heaton also has a website, where he points out the hardest part of landscape photography is getting up early, and that's certainly my biggest challenge right now.
by Peter Boughton
Thu 17 Oct 2019, 11:57
Forum: Outings & Events
Topic: 19 October 2019 - Club Outing to the Chichester Area
Replies: 24
Views: 494

Re: 19 October 2019 - Club Outing to the Chichester Area

Which forecast(s) are you checking? Different sources are giving varying results for today's weather - depending where you look it's either going to be light showers or heavy downpours this afternoon...
by Peter Boughton
Tue 08 Oct 2019, 23:28
Forum: Outings & Events
Topic: 9 October 2019 - Practical Evening on Post Processing
Replies: 10
Views: 256

Re: 9 October 2019 - Practical Evening on Post Processing

What benefits does using the "Split Toning" feature offer? It's a feature that can be used for artistic effect - the presets for monochrome (Sepia/Cyanotype/Selenium/etc) use it to achieve the toning part of their effect. 3. Can you explain the relative effects of the "Radius", ...
by Peter Boughton
Thu 26 Sep 2019, 11:31
Forum: Outings & Events
Topic: 9 October 2019 - Practical Evening on Post Processing
Replies: 10
Views: 256

Re: 9 October 2019 - Practical Evening on Post Processing

I would really like to know how to edit (lighten or darken, change) certain parts of an image. Lightening & darkening parts of an image is possible in Elements. "Change" is a bit general - if it refers to cloning/healing then that's possible too, otherwise you might want to extrapolat...
by Peter Boughton
Fri 20 Sep 2019, 18:17
Forum: General
Topic: Why do prints have to be mounted?
Replies: 6
Views: 168

Re: Why do prints have to be mounted?

Fair enough - I'd forgotten about the large price difference, and thought the move was because the refurbishments were expected each year but kept being deferred (along with the limited & unpredictable exposure, which as you say may or not change in future). The lower cost allowing the exhibitio...
by Peter Boughton
Fri 20 Sep 2019, 16:40
Forum: General
Topic: Why do prints have to be mounted?
Replies: 6
Views: 168

Re: Why do prints have to be mounted?

Club rules merely state that prints for internal competitions should be mounted on card and unframed; there is nothing mandated about size ... Yep, the wording I used was intended to convey that - in technical documentation, "must" is a requirement and "should" a recommendation ...
by Peter Boughton
Thu 19 Sep 2019, 23:19
Forum: General
Topic: Why do prints have to be mounted?
Replies: 6
Views: 168

Re: Why do prints have to be mounted?

There's no specific requirement to mount images all in the same way*, it's just that there's limited practical options. Prints must be mounted on card, and the total size should not exceed 50x40cm, nor cause damage when in a pile. ( * for competitions; however the last few exhibitions have had restr...

Go to advanced search